Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Back to School

This week marked the beginning of a new school year. In the past, a new school year meant a fresh start, a renewed spirit, an excitement filling my stomach with butterflies. But this year is different. Adventures abound this week for so many. Whether it’s teachers preparing for a new group of kiddos to walk through their doors; students gearing up for new classes, new teachers, and new friends; or parents saying goodbye to their littles for their first day at kindergarten, not knowing who it’s going to be harder on...them or their babies. And as I watched my friends go back to work this week, wishing them good luck and small classes, I was preparing for my own adventures to unfold.



Monday morning while school buses were rolling down streets for the first day of school, I was sitting at home for the first time in about 22 years. It felt strange. I sat with my cup of coffee and stared out my front windows, watching the calm morning pass. It was a time of reflecting and thanking God for all of the blessings in my life. I am so thankful to have this opportunity to be at home with Harper; I know there are so many moms out there who would do anything to stay home but circumstances won’t allow it. How blessed Harper and I both are that we have Neal working hard so that we can have this time together. All week I’ve been thinking of all things that I’m looking forward to while I stay home with Harper.


I’m so thankful I get to be there for all of her “firsts.” The first time she rolls over, crawling, laughing for the first time, her first steps. I’m excited about play dates and conversations with other moms; putting her down for naps and being the first face she sees when she wakes up from them; watching her personality blossom as she gains new perspective on this big world she’s now a part of.


I’m glad I’m the one that will get to wipe away her tears when she’s fallen down or is getting new teeth or has a fever. I’m happy that when she’s sad, I’ll be the one to cuddle her and make her feel better.


And I’m glad that at the end of the day, I get to sit down and hang out with these two.



Life doesn’t get much better than this.


So even though there’s a small part of me that misses the challenges of teaching middle schoolers about grammar and literature, responsibility and time management, or knowing that I’ve made a difference in a seventh grader’s life; I know that I am exactly where I’m meant to be...at home with Harper, teaching her about life and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment