Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Beginning Traditions: The Pumpkin Patch

I never paid much attention to family traditions before Harper was born. Wait. That's not true; I always had to open presents on Christmas morning, not Christmas Eve, and...yep, that's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure there are more, but as a little girl I don't remember looking forward to certain days of the year because of the traditions that came with them. But I want to create traditions for Harper; ones that she'll look forward to every year. I want Harper to look back on her childhood and remember the Special Day plate, Easter Egg hunts, dates with Daddy, opening Christmas pajamas and a new tree ornament each Christmas Eve, and finding the perfect pumpkin every year. I want her to remember the special memories we created by celebrating big and small days in big and small ways. 

So this week, Harper and I headed to the pumpkin patch with the Corders as a new tradition. Sure, I let Preston pick out our pumpkin this year, but before too long it'll be Harper's turn to wander the aisles and pick out the perfect orange gourd. 


How ADORABLE is Graham in his little lion costume?! 

Preston takes good care of the littles!

Oh, those hypnotizing blue eyes...so precious!



Graham was way more cooperative with the camera than Harper. But some new material for the blog is never a bad idea, right?

I know that Harper isn't going to remember her first trip to the pumpkin patch or her first Christmas morning (or her second or third either), but the traditions are just as much for me as they are for her. I'll look back on these pictures and know that I did everything I could to create a special childhood for Harper. And one day Harper will look at these pictures and know that her mom loved her more than anything.


2 comments:

  1. We've been talking about this too, being intentional with traditions even before Fisher can remember them. I think it is so important. Your girl just gets cuter by the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm super big into traditions since avery was born. probably bc i can't think of any. except, we opened presents Christmas eve. :) we've officially stopped traveling for holidays so we can create our own at home. harper is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete