Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Day 7: Button


Button. Seriously? That's my challenge for the day? What does that even mean? All I kept thinking all day yesterday was, "Don't push my buttons." Like some imaginary being was going to annoy the heck out of me, and "push my buttons." But then I started to really think about all the buttons around me. There's a really cute belly button on one really cute little babe in my house. And that babe also has a really cute little button nose. But then I was thinking more literal. And buttons do things. They turn things on, they make things go, and they turn things up. 

Which button around me does those things both literally and figuratively? Well, this one of course:


This button turns my brain on. While most days I have little mental stimulation dealing only with my 8 month old, when I get my camera out my brain turns on. Not only do I have to think about light, and aperture, and shutter speed, and IPO; but when I turn my camera on I also immediately think of creating memories. Because my words don't always come easily, I look at each scene through my camera thankful that it will capture what my words can not. I'll have time to look at each picture and use it to remember what the wildflower field behind me smelled like...

Or how huge my belly got...geez, it's like I'm hiding a basketball in there!

Or just how perfect Harper felt in my arms for the first time...


But what's the use of a good camera if you're taking the same old pictures of the same old background day in and day out? So when I see my camera gathering dust, I pack up some momentum and inspiration, and take it along on our adventures both near and faraway.

Like watching my little muse explore on a day at the park...


Or on an Alaskan adventure...

In Juneau, at Mendenhall Glacier

Yeah, I take a lot of pictures in the comfort of my own home, but it's nice to use it as an excuse to get out...to go...to live. And don't get me wrong, I didn't think to myself, Hmmm...that camera sure hasn't seen any action lately, maybe I should go to Alaska. But how lucky that I had my camera with me on this cousins' adventure so I have the vivid images to relive the beauty that is Alaska and cherish that time with Elise. 

It takes those mundane moments or the little things in life, and bumps them up a notch.

Like the colors at the Denver Botanic Gardens...



Or the sweetest little face I've ever seen...

It's not about the button, it's about what you get when you push the button. For me, these memories and moments are frozen in time thanks to that button.

Alright, so I know I'm a day late here with Day 7's challenge...and who knows when Day 8 will get up because Day 8's challenge is 'sun', and we haven't seen much sun lately. It's very February here, just cold and gray. So I'm moving on to Day 9 tomorrow and will post Day 8 when the sun shows its face. Thanks for understanding...

No comments:

Post a Comment