Saturday, July 3, 2010

Getting it!!

As we were relaxing this afternoon, I was playing around on the ol' intermat...you know, catching up on my favorite blogs, facebooking, and researching photography tips. I came across a recommendation for The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby. I'm already two chapters in, and I love it! He's funny, and his whole schtick is that he writes like the reader is a friend out on a shoot with him, instead of photo jargon like other photography books. It's easy to read and has great tips. Chapter 2 is on photographing flowers. Here's what I shot today. NO EDITING.

These look like water balloons...ha!

I like the one above because the first/closest layer of cabbage leaves is a window to the others...

Did you know that cucumber plants make these pretty little tendrils and grab/wrap whatever they're closest to?? Neither did I!!

Becky's garden was the perfect place to practice Scott's tips. I shot this in aperture priority at the lowest aperture number (around 5-5.6). It's been overcast all day so it was just right for shooting. Oh, and did I mention...NO EDITING!

I'm not going to lie, I was a little disappointed in my last couple of posts. I felt like I was not doing what I set out to do. I'm so glad that I've found a resource that is easy to follow, and that I can learn from. I'M FINALLY GETTING IT!! Now if any of you have a favorite editing software, I'm still listening. I'm thinking about Adobe Photoshop Elements 8. Anyone have any thoughts on that??

2 comments:

  1. We have ELEMENTS and LOVE it... there is so much that you can do on it (I am told). I have yet to figure it all out but there are some GREAT forums and online resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the last couple posts. It's like you're out there living, and just happen to take a picture, instead of seeking it out. Plus, I'm really in the mood for pie still. I don't do photography, so I don't have any suggestions, but I like to play around with Yes We Camera on iPhone. Still cracks me up every time.

    ReplyDelete